Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Dressing Woes

Judging by the flipping forward of the clocks at 2am this morning (this week is going to be rough, anybody else?) and the fact that the Charles River, which I can see from my living room window, is no longer frozen, spring really is lurking right around the corner.

I'm ready to be able to walk to work everyday again. I'm excited to open up our apartment windows for some fresh air and to hear the lovely sounds of traffic on Storrow Drive. I can hardly wait for weekend summer visits to the beach. But it all comes at a cost: dressing for spring/summer.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who laments warm weather dressing? I'm feeling pretty unenthusiastic about the onslaught of lighter fabrics and showing skin--and figuring out how to make do with what's currently in my closet. I never get excited looking at the spring lines when they make it to the stores.

Spring Lookbook image from Shopbop.com

It's a good thing I moved north, because I love cold weather. I love dressing for cold weather even more. Give me tights, boots, scarves and layers any day. To me it feels like I can express more creativity putting together an outfit in the fall/winter than during the height--and sweltering heat--of summer.

The fact of the matter is that it is going to warm up and I can't carry on in my sweater tights and winter boots unless I want to suffer from heat stroke (and look like an idiot). Since I'm being good and avoiding shopping so I can pay down my debt, I can't go all out with new purchases. Hence, I'll be playing around in my closet and coming up with ways to warm weatherize the clothing I've worn all winter. Look for a post on that in the coming weeks.

In the mean time, while nothing really wowed me or made me reconsider my shopping ban, I did find a few springy things I actually liked.

Tibi dress - Image: Shopbop
Miu Miu Platforms - Image: Saks Fifth Avenue


Tucker Dress - Image: Piperlime


However, I won't be buying any of it. 

Whatever the case, it's time to break out the Jergens gradual tanning lotion and up my efforts at the gym. Time's a wastin'.

No comments: