Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let's See if This Works: Chalean Extreme



Conventional advice tells you not to tackle too many goals at once. Especially around December 31 when people begin making New Years Resolutions, the safe way to play it is to focus all of your energy on one goal you'd like to reach.  You risk spreading yourself too thin--or feeling severely deprived/worn out/deflated--if you aim for model behavior in too many areas.

I'm throwing that advice to the wayside and am going to start working hard at my fitness goals in addition to aggressively paying down my debt.

Business travel (and all-too-frequent bouts of illness this winter) have kept me from maintaining a regular exercise and eating plan. I'm sorry, but if I'm away on a work-related trip and the company is paying for dinner at a nice restaurant I wouldn't be sitting in otherwise, I'm damn well going to order the filet mignon and creamed spinach instead of the dinner salad. As if there was any question about it! And, yes, I'm going to guzzle some wine, too.

On the exercise front, working long days takes it out of me. So after I eat my steak and creamed spinach I just want to go curl up in my hotel room and order $13.99 movies (the clean ones) and relax. Plus, hotel gyms can be spotty. The machines aren't always up-to-date.

But I'm rambling.

Today I started the Chalean Extreme Program, which I like to refer to as P90X's less terrifying sibling. It's by Beach Body as well. I've actually had the program since December but am now just getting around to using it. I'll try to post updates as I move along. After my first session, though, I have to say I'm feeling pretty good about it. Unlike other at-home workout videos, I think I'll be able to stick with this one. The flow of the workout is just better than others I've tried.

The BEST part is that while I use dumbells at home I can use resistance bands on the road. You can bet I'm taking the program over to Berlin with me.

And on the topic of Berlin, I'm going to try and be good while there. Wine every other dinner, watch my intake of red meat, begin with a salad to keep me from scarfing down the fattening side dishes, no picking at the pastries at the breakfast buffet. I know I can do it. 'Cause as we all know, nutrition is 80% of the battle.

If you've tried the program, please let me know your thoughts! Healthy recipe ideas and overall fitness tips are great, too.

2 comments:

Emma said...

I used to have a gym membership and I used it once lol. I just vacuum every day lol. That is my exercise. We eat healthy too because my Husband has so many food allergies that we don't bother buying a lot of the bad foods at the store. I am kind of forced to eat right. I wish you the best on this exercise program.

Katherine said...

Very interesting! I'm a total failure at P90X so am interested in your progress :) Thanks for posting!

www.featherfactor.com