Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Oh, Right, I'm Getting Married

The Mister and I have been engaged for nearly four months now, and I kind of keep forgetting that we need to plan this gig and actually get married. We're both a bit lackadaisical when it comes to all of this wedding business. If it weren't for the wishes of our families, the courthouse would have already made me an honest woman and he whatever the fudge marriage makes a man (ornery?). People keep asking me about our wedding plans and it takes a minute for the little light bulb in my head to illuminate and me to remember that oh, yeah, I guess I should start planning that thing.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm working on another "Matters of Opinion" post that I'll have up next week detailing my thoughts on weddings and the feelings I have about about my own.

For now, I've started to think about my vision for the day. If we're not going to have the simple and nonchalant little courthouse ceremony and forgo all of the pomp and circumstance the way I'd like, I'd at least prefer that the day really truly reflect us.

As I started thinking about it, I remembered a spread in an issue of Martha Stewart Weddings from almost two years ago that depicted ballet-inspired wedding ideas. I'm a die-heard performing arts fan--ballet specifically. Cheesy, but I feel most alive when I'm sitting in a theatre seat engulfed in the movement on stage. Revisiting that Martha Stewart Weddings spread started me thinking. Imagining. I'm all about the arts, and the Mister/SO/whatever nickname I can give him so as not to reveal his identity is all about science. Time to find a way to bring the two elements together for the wedding...if that's the direction we go.

Seriously, aren't these spreads gorgeous?




Have you been to a wedding where it was very indicative of the couple? Seen anything that hasn't been done a kajillion times before that was truly memorable? Talk/type to me, baby.

8 comments:

Alison Kinsey said...

i love these and the whole dance inspiration behind them.
have you gone on any wedding blogs yet? or used pintrest to find inspiration? i would think the planning part would be fun for you! even in light of the fact that you'd already be married if it weren't for the wishes of your fams!

Anne said...

How on earth did I not know you were still blogging?! I honestly feel like I've been missing out. I've always loved reading your writing...I have some serious catching up to do.

Congrats on the engagement!! :) Hope all is well!

Tanya said...

last wedding we went to, the couple and the wedding party had a Glee-type video professionally filmed and shown during the reception. it was awesome!

If I ever get married, I want to either have a flash mob or a choreographed dance piece w/ the wedding party :D

and that spread is gorgeous!!! I totally remember it!

Michele said...

My friend and her now husband had a literature themed wedding, which I thought was really nice (and so THEM). The grooms cake was shaped like novels and had titles from their favorite books. Each table was decorated with love stories that the bride painstakingly searched for the entire year of their engagement.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

beautiful- and great inspiration to start :) Watching 3 friends plan weddings this past year...i know it can get overwhelming!

Anonymous said...

OhMyGosh those spreads are gorgeous! I'm a former (non-professional!) ballerina myself. I guess I probably could've gotten the Hubby to agree to a ballet-themed wedding. Ha!

Just do what makes you happy. If you really want to get married at the courthouse (like we did!), then do it! Or maybe a beach or Vegas?

I just got too caught up (not saying this will happen to you!) in what everyone else wanted and in the end, I made myself very unhappy.

I haven't really been to many weddings. The most popular theme around here is the couple's alma mater's colors: maroon and white (Aggies) or orange and black (OSU). I would love to attend a wedding that really showed the couple's personality and interests.

Noelani said...

If I could do it all again I would just rent a huge house in the French countryside and bring everyone there. Do it all rustic and destination-like. Maybe involve a vineyard in a foreign land. If you do need any local logistic type stuff let me know- loved all the people I worked with (and ended up at the Seaport hotel, which as fabulous).

Jessica said...

I love those photos!

My wedding advice would be to do what is best for you as a couple. We had a small wedding (about 75 or less people) and no bridesmaids/groomsmen. We really just wanted to focus on the day being about our marriage. Sometimes involving a lot of people causes drama. Don't get too caught up in what other people think you should do or what they think a wedding should be like. It doesn't have to be your typical traditional wedding. Most of all, have fun! You don't want to look back and remember what a pain it was to plan :)