Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Photographic Evidence (the Numbers Don't Lie)

I've made the commitment to better my financial health. Now I'm reaffirming my reasons for doing so.

Over the last six months I've been under-utilizing the contents of my closet, mostly because I no longer like the way I look and feel in a lot of it (weight gain has a way of doing that). Today I went digging for numbers--just how many dresses/skirts/pants/etc. have I been neglecting? I figure knowing this information will help me to concentrate my efforts on fitting back into my underutilized clothes and not on accumulating anything new ('cause come February 1st, shopping is a no no).

Our closet. Organization made possible by Ikea.

Here's what I tallied (Disclaimer: this isn't one of those "look at everything I own" posts, because those are prevalent on blogs and make me want to gag. I'm being honest so I can be held accountable):

Dresses 
Own: 53        Actually wear: 32
Coats/Outerwear
Own: 6         Actually wear: 6

Skirts
Own: 7         Actually wear: 1
Blazers
Own: 8         Actually wear: 5

Blouses (work-approrpriate)
Own: 18      Actually wear: 9
Cardigans
Own: 11      Actually wear: 11
Sweaters
Own: 10      Actually wear: 7
Jeans
Own: 7       Actually wear: 1
Dress Pants
Own: 3       Actually wear: 0
Handbags/clutches
Own: 11      In regular rotation: 2
(three are new with tags...yikes)
Shoes
Heels: 10 pairs
Flats: 4 pairs
Wedges: 1 pair
Boots: 8 pairs

This information doesn't include all of my casual clothes and layering pieces (like simple long sleeve shirts and camisoles).

Anyway, I don't know how my numbers compare when stacked against other peoples' closets, but I did the math and I'm only wearing about 58.5% of what's hanging in there (this number doesn't account for shoes and handbags). There are approximately 50 garments I do not wear, but actually like and want to wear.

So what does that underutilized 41.5% look like? This:

You can't see most of it because all the clothes are piled haphazardly on our bed.

Not good. 

My conclusion? Everything I said in my previous post. 

Oh, and if I keep with my gym routine and stop eating like the apocalypse is arriving tomorrow, I can rock all of this stuff again with confidence. It'll almost be like having a new wardrobe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what are you going to do with the unworn? Sift through it and donate/sell, or keep it and try to incorporate it back into your wardrobe?

As for me, I'm all about selling/donating and getting money to recycle into new pieces :)

Emma said...

I don't wear half the stuff in my closet either. I Love all of the colorful dresses that I see piled on your bed. Are any of those Emilio Pucci ?
I would Love to see a detailed post on your shoes. I know I am a dork but I do like seeing what people have in their closets. You are very fashionable.

KT said...

This has me thinking about my wardrobe and what percentage I would be at. Hmm.... I have no idea. But if you are looking for someone to donate some of those extra dresses to - I happen to live nearby. ;)
Katy

Jenny said...

What the hell is it about women not wearing shit we buy? it just hangs there! ha! I guess my thing is, I've gained extra weight and most of my stuff doesn't look great on me anymore...but hence my motivation for kicking my ass into AWESOME shape again!