Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Don't Let Me Down, 2011

New year, new blog. I have an inkling this one will stick.

I'm not one for New Years resolutions. Normally I'm too deflated after all of the excitement surrounding the holidays dies to give two sticks about altering my life. However, now that I'm back from my sweet two-week holiday vacation in the Midwest I feel ready to make changes. Taking a break from (and then returning to) real life feels like a bit of a time warp--complete with a fresh beginning.

So these are not really resolutions, per se, but general things I'd like to accomplish or see happen in 2011. Woot.

1. Clear the clutter and begin fresh

It's happening as I type. The laundry is in the wash. A shredder is on its way to our apartment to clear out all old statements and papers piled up. I'm going through our closet later today (a post on that will come). Clearing out the junk makes me feel less junk-y.

2. Revert back to Rachael circa 2009

Ah, 2009. I didn't order Chinese takeout two times a week (eh, that's also because I couldn't throw a stone from my apartment and hit an amazing Chinese restaurant back then like I can now). I dressed up, drank too much red wine and went out to socialize. Hitting up the gym after work was a solid part of my routine. I resisted ice cream. All things considered, I felt better about myself back then than I do now. In 2011 I intend on cooking more, making more plans that don't involve my pajamas and reruns of "Strangers With Candy," and hitting up all the fitness classes I enjoy.

3. Go from being a spousal equivalent to an engaged woman
It's gonna happen--I can feel it.

4. Reduce my debt and build savings
The fact that I'm capable of sleeping at night given the numbers on my statements is slightly unnerving. I feel a bit embarrassed that I haven't made too big of a dent in my debt and I need to be more diligent in my efforts. A number lives in my head of what I'd like my balances to reflect come June, but writing it down means too much pressure. I don't really charge purchases anymore, but I allow myself too much spending money each paycheck when it should be applied to my cards and/or savings account. Not gonna lie - I have a list of quasi "big ticket" items on my shopping list that I intend on purchasing. It's all a matter of prioritizing.

My plan? After indulging in a few of the post-holiday sales I'm going on a shopping dry spell. No shopping in February, March or April. Eek.

5. Start a blog and keep it forever and ever
So far, so good. Seriously, I need a creative outlet. Oh, and if anyone can recommend a blog designer, please let me know.

Not very exciting, but it's all I've got.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for fresh starts! Hope you had a wonderful new year.

emaleigh said...

I am glad you are back!!

Penny Lane Designs is a great designer. There is a link on Brittney's blog http://www.brittneyjoywilliams.com/. She also designed Running in High Heels. I love her!