Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What?! I've Been in Boston for a Year?

WARNING: Photo-heavy.

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of my move to Boston. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the year flew by, but time certainly carried on.

Me circa 2007 when I visited Boston for the first time as an adult. Strangely enough, you can almost see our current apartment in this picture!


I got to thinking about the things I've learned and/or observed about Boston since moving here. In honor of this trivial time-marker in my life, I thought I'd share:

  1. Look both ways and wait at least 5 seconds after the pedestrian "walk" sign comes on before crossing the street. If you don't, there's a legitimate likelihood that you'll be hit. There's also a 90% chance that the car plowing you over will be a taxi.
  2. The Central Square bus stop at 1 AM is something everyone should experience, if only to observe all walks of life in the city. Just be sure to have a buddy there with you.
  3. In just about any other city you tell someone that you're working on your PhD at MIT or MBA at Harvard and people are intrigued. Tell that to somebody here and they'll nod and respond with the name of someone they know in the same program. 
  4. Rainy weekday evenings are the best times to hit up Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry for a treat. Forget it on pleasant weekend evenings. Oh, and it's best to make it a rule to only hit up these North End delights when company is in town. Cannolis do not make for slim thighs.
  5. Having a roof top deck would be hella nice...
  6. Living in a city that's extremely walkable is AMAZING. I feel fortunate to have the option of walking to work every day.
  7. Boston is just a really, really pretty city. My evidence (all pictures I took):
 May 2011 - View from the Longfellow Bridge

May 2011 - MIT

January 2011 - View from the Harvard Bridge

January 2011 - View of Commonwealth Ave

October 2008 - Acorn Street in Beacon Hill

August 2009 - View of downtown from Christopher Columbus Park


Here's to another year (or ten, depending on what life throws at us) in the city!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those pictures are gorgeous! I find it so interesting to be able to peek at other people's lives - especially when I live in the country in the middle of nowhere! ;) I would loooove to live somewhere that is "walkable". It's so silly b/c we literally drive in the car even if something is across the street. Unless you're in a downtown sort of area, most places here aren't walkable.

Emma said...

Wow! I remember when you moved to Boston! Time sure flies! These are great pictures.