Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Outfit of the Day: All of the Cool Kids are Color Blocking

The time has come for me to stop posting crappy photographs on my blog. Actually, I should rephrase that. They may turn out be crappy, but I'm going to make an effort and attempt to take better photographs instead of half-assing it and posting crappy ones.

I've been half-assing it for so long because I thought I had to purchase a fancy-schmancy SLR camera in order to turn out anything worth sharing, and it turns out I'm a schmuck. I can take quasi-decent photographs with my humble little Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS--all it takes is a little patience, practice and reading of the camera manual. In case you're wondering, I went to a state school. That's supposed to be a joke.

With today's weather being miserable and gray and November-like, I figured it was a good time to hole up inside and practice taking OOTD photos in a less tragic point-and-shoot-auto-mode-in-the-dirty-mirror-hanging-on-my-closet-door fashion. Given the depressing weather, it was also a good day to bust out the cheery brights and make myself feel a little less like jumping off of the John Hancock Tower.

Seriously, who else is digging the crazy color blocking trend going on right now? The bright separates out there right now are amazing. The best part of the trend is that it doesn't require tossing everything out when things die down--mix a bright top with a neutral next season and you're as good as new.

But on to the photos. I have the tendency to ramble.


Pink Top: Zara
Skirt: Tibi
Shoes: Christian Louboutin

So I'm really not a narcissist. I'm just practicing with my camera. I included the crappy mirror image simply because I'm still trying to find the best place to capture my complete ensemble when I'm standing up. Finding an area with a clean background and good lighting for photographs in our small one-bedroom apartment is a challenge. 

And just for the heck of it, here's one of the first images I took to play around with the natural lighting outside:


Not the best picture by any means, but these are MUCH better than what I'd been taking/posting before (minus the mirror shot).
Photography gurus, any tips you have are appreciated. 

Oh, and if you're looking to color block, run to Zara, like, now.

10 comments:

La Belle Fabuleux said...

Love it!! I'm also learning how to take pics with my little Powershot cam I just figured out the macro shot for close ups lol Unfortunately I'm stuck with the mirror shots my husband has no patience. A lot of bloggers use a tripod and wireless remote for their pics.

Love your Louboutins =) classic pair

Belle

Tanya said...

That's a perfect spot to take outfit pictures. I always struggle with this too because the lens that i use isn't wide enough to capture me full length. Now i just harass boyfriend into taking photos for me ("ok, here's a camera with all the settings and this is the angle i want and wait for the wind so my skirt is doing that wind-flapping thing, blahblahblah?"). needless to say he's not a fan of the process.

where was i? oh right, tips - learn to use photoshop. It saves even the crappiest of pictures :)

Also, your outfit is really cute! Those shoes - WANT!

Emma said...

I LOVE this look! Especially those Fabulous shoes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pretty! I am also trying to learn how to use my fancy camera. I need to take the time and take real pictures instead of ridiculous iphone pics! A tripod needs to be purchased by moi ASAP.

I left you some love on my bloggy!

http://www.shastaanne.com/2011/05/some-boho-joy-and-pay-it-forward.html

Bonnie said...

I love how you actually state that you aren't a narcissist and that you are just playing with your camera.
My statements usually go the other way. "I'm only taking this many pictures because I know I'm cute."
I lovelovelove your top. And your shoes. And this skirt. And your hair.
Okay, I love it all.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Noelani said...

Natural lighting shots look the best!! I refuse to use my flash, and found it really helped with my shots. I use a point and shoot for most of my photos (because my husband takes them and doesn't know how to use the fancy SLR:). It was so nice meeting you too. I was literally on your site this morning already when you left a comment on the BR post! Great minds think alike!! Added you to my bloglovin to stay up to date- hopefully see you soon at another event!

Alison Kinsey said...

I love your outfit pictures! You do colorblocking well. That tibi skirt is gorgeous and the pink top really pops.
I think your pictures look great - you definitely don't need to have an SLR to get good photos.
So happy I got to see you at the After 5 event!

Rebecca said...

Just found your blog and I just love your style! Your color blocking looks great and the nude shoes are perfect!

rebeccawithanR

Irina said...

What a great post! I just came across your blog and I fell in love with it! It's spectacular! I love your style! Check out my blog and follow if you like it, I promise to do the same!
www.fullclosetbutnothingtowear.blogspot.com
See you soon, kisses!

Melody said...

We have the same Zara top! *wink*