Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Matters of Opinion: Those Moments When You Think Blogging is Rubbish

Now that work has released its death grip from my neck, I'm ascending from the hellish depths of whatever life was these past two months and re-entering what I like to refer to as normal people world. In normal people world, the nighttime office cleaning folks are nameless and faceless guardians who magically replace the garbage can liners instead of greeting you every night, laundry doesn't build into mountains and Blackberries see less fondling than a pair of horny teenagers left alone in the basement after a first date. 

The good thing about the past couple of of months, aside from the pay, is that I've shut out the internet almost completely. Every minute counts when there are deadlines to meet, and that leaves little time for online shopping, Facebooking and blog reading.

I've been feeling a tad lukewarm about blogging the past couple months. Before I continue, this isn't one of those dramatic "I'm kissing blogging goodbye" nonsensical/rubbish posts. More or less, I want to pose the question: do you ever feel like blogging is all a bunch of baloney? 'Cause that's how I'm feeling. But the way I feel changes by varying degrees depending on the day and the amount of wine I've consumed.


Before I go running my mouth, let me say that the one aspect of blogging I really enjoy is the opportunity to meet people in real life. Blogger meet-and-greets are great. Boston, in particular, has a solid group of people worth meeting and jibing with outside of the internet. I'm all for real-life enrichment that one can pull from the web. It's probably the only legitimate reason I can come up with for maintaining this thing.

The rest? Not so much. After stressing for weeks on end about the turnout of one of my many work-related projects and the state of my employment, I've come to the conclusion that my life is just not all that interesting. Actually, I've known that for a long time. Blogging just makes it easier to carry on in some sort of charade and pretend I'm kick ass...and believe that things like acquiring the latest Chanel nail polish color are of real-life-non-internet-popularity importance. I could play the game and pretend and try harder at this whole blogging thing (but never ever EVER Twitter), but it all feels rather forced and hardly worth the trouble.

For anyone who is actually reading this, do you feel like maintaining a blog enriches your life? Or, after awhile, does it all start to feel a little comical in the grand scheme of things?

Really, all I want these days is more sleep and less pressure in the cooker.

Thoughts?

9 comments:

Lissy said...

You know, it's funny. I've been in a bit of the same work boat for the better part of the last 6 months. But at the end of the day, work is just work and blogging is something I actually enjoy doing. I can see how it might seem trifle or meaningless sometimes, but for me, in addition to the lovely folks I've met in person, it's a creative outlet for me that I really enjoy. I hope things are looking up for you. See you at the blogger holiday party next month!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

i can agree w/ this- sometimes i do think it's a bunch of baloney! and my job is getting more time consuming and busy too- esp when i start my new role later this month. I think my mantra is going to be just do what i can and that's just that. it's not the end of the world if i don't read everyone's posts or get the latest Chanel polish ;)

Samantha said...

First, glad work has released you!!

Second, I always like your Matters of Opinion posts. Yes, sometimes I feel like blogging is a little frivolous when it comes to the whole scheme of life. However, it does give you a chance to meet other wonderful people. I just try not to take it to seriously. I started it as a creative outlet and that's the way I look at it. (Don't get me wrong, sometimes I will obsess about silly things regarding the blog, but I know it's not saving any lives.) I DID get a twitter account at the request of some of my friends. But I have to remind myself to use it. Not very natural! I just try it keep it light hearted and fun. If people like it, then great! If not, oh well!

Lindsay said...

I get like this sometimes. My life is by no means "interesting" and I've been in sort of a funk lately as far as posting regularly. I'll sit down at the computer to write something, and know what I want to write about... but I can't seem to do it. Sometimes I just have more fun reading other people's blogs and commenting on what they have to say!

and P.S. we should try to meet up sometime!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes I run hot and cold as well. It is a bit narcisstic/self-indulgent, but so cathartic!

Lately, I've been just dying to blog/write, but my little family has been sick constantly and also super busy. We hadn't really been going anywhere except school and work, so I also didn't feel like I had any content "worthy" of a blog post.

Noelani said...

In the grand scheme of thing would my life end if the blog did? No. But I would miss the creative aspect of writing, taking photos, styling, cooking and sharing it. Most of all I would miss the people I have met. They have thoroughly enriched my life. But I do have to catch myself sometimes. Do I NEED another Chanel polish. No. Do I need to stress because someone has ANOTHER new bag I can't afford? No. It's a slippery and expensive hole to fall into.....and well worth avoiding, but not at the expense of blogging.

Shanna-Marie Beattie said...

I think you're feeling something natural. It's human. I feel this way about work, well the job I have that I dislike. I totally get what you are saying but glad you are "free" from your hectic work schedule. I too am a crazy workaholic and sometimes I can't even tweet bc I'm too busy or tired. But.....I had no idea the wonderful ppl I've met through twitter and blogging existed and I am grateful to have met them and get a glimpse into their lives! I was always in my lil ways style wise and it's nice to be inspired by peers. I feel like I am part of a community and it's nice that we all share an interest in blogging, style, fashion, shopping, art, etc. ! Anyways, I appreciate and praise any post that delivers honesty!! Very "RAW" of you ;)

Alison Kinsey said...

this is interesting rachael, because i've been falling into sort of a funk too, i just can't describe it. i think it has something to do with my blog identity being so much about boston and the people i met there, and somehow trying to divert that focus into my life now in california. i used to read more blogs than i could count - it was practically a part time job, but now i just read the blogs i actually enjoy reading, and post whenever i want to post. i do love your blog a lot though, and agree that meeting bloggers is real life is one of the most rewarding aspects!

Kristen said...

I started blogging to have a creative outlet and to meet people. The blog has allowed me to do both of those things, so it makes me happy. But yeah, I have to remind myself sometimes that it's a hobby! And if it ever gets overwhelming, it's hopefully a hobby I can put aside for a bit...