Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Two Cents: The Perfect Black Ballet Flat

When it comes to classic black ballet flats, I play the field. There’s a lot of love ‘em and leave ‘em going on but, in true player defense, that’ll happen when you haven’t found “the one” (or when you’re sketchy and have commitment issues).

I’ve gone through a lot of black flats. Like clockwork, the moment my current pair finally gives out from being worn into the ground I’m off to find something better. I keep trying because I believe that the elusive perfect classic black ballet flat exists, kind of like the Pegasus, 100% flattering swimwear and the answer(s) to world peace.

It’s brain dump time.

Here are the ones I’ve loved (or disliked) in my quest for a pair that really works. Keep in mind that I avoid extremely pricey flats.


Banana Republic Black Flats

I dig Banana’s ballet flats. They look great against fall foliage, dontcha think? I haven’t owned a pair in about two years because my size always seems to be out of stock, but the ones I’ve long since tossed were well made and lasted a long time. Be careful with sizing. I never had any issues with my shoes (always purchased TTS), but I’ve heard that sizing is inconsistent these days.
__________



J Crew Ballet Flats

At over $100 a pop, these were not worth the money. The break in period seemed to last forever, and the support just isn’t there. If you like a dainty ballet flat, these could work. Just don’t do too much walking in them or you’ll have back pains. On a positive note, they’re attractive on your feet.
____________


Cole Haan Maria Sharapova Ballet Flat


If I hadn’t been the Village Idiot who purchased these a half size too small, we could have a winner. They’re an attractive shoe for one thing (the corset detailing on the back is different in a good way), and the supportive cushioned sole is super comfortable. I might give in and buy another pair in the correct size. These seem like they’d hold up for a more than a year even with continuous wear.
_____________



Bp. Frankie Flat (Nordstrom)

Ah, the economical flat. If you’re on a budget, this is a good pair to consider. I wore mine through the bitter months of unemployment (see picture above). They last forever (forever = one year in ballet flat time), and they’re sturdy. Eh, possibly too sturdy. The stiffness takes some time to get used to and they never really mold to your feet. At around $50, you can afford wear them into the ground without taking great care.

_____________


Tory Burch Reva

I love the cut of the Reva—the shoe simply looks attractive on the foot. I find mine to be comfortable, though I’ve heard less favorable opinions about how the shoes fit and feel. As I slowly evolve and shed bits of logo-whoredness, I’m not too keen on the Revas. They’re kind of like sunglasses with flashy designer logos…not really my thing. They hold up, for sure, but so do flats at half the cost. 
______________

 
Frye Carlson Flat

I. Love. This. Shoe.
I may have found “the one.” They’re real leather, and the quality of craftsmanship shows. I broke into these quickly, and they’re comfortable for extensive walking. I’ll probably continue replacing these shoes for the next couple of years. I'll post a real life photo of them soon.


What flats are you wearing these days? Any other recommendations?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Ballet flats are definitely not all the same. My favorites are the Jessica Simpson "Leve" flats. They're about $50, but I can often find them at TJMaxx for $30.

I am so hard on shoes (and don't mean to be), so I'm normally not going to shell out a lot for shoes. I have learned not to buy really cheap ones (like Payless!)

Emma said...

This is a good post. I am kind of lame, I am wearing $10.00 flats from Kohls lol. They are comfortable though.

Shanna-Marie Beattie said...

This has been my life the past two months. I've been on the prowl for perfect black flats. They are important to have!! Nice post my dear.

STYLE'N said...

Great review...Lani just had a pair of Ferragamo flats and when I tried them on I almost died...they are so comfy. I may be spluring on those ..but of course using a gift card I have stashed away :)

Michele said...

I bought a pair of black Coach flats for super discount this summer and after the initial break-in period, they've been great. They ridiculously comfortable and I can walk all around town without them hurting my back or my feet.

Alison Kinsey said...

agree with the other comments, that this is an awesome post! i am technically without a prized pair of black flats right now, so i'll be on the hunt for one. the cole haan pair is adorable, and i will have to look into your 'clear winner.' the last pair i bought were by enzo anglioni (sp?) and while they looked adorable, they were so uncomfortable :( i need a pair i can break in fast!

hope you had a good weekend!

Kristen said...

I picked up some Revas at the most recent swap! I almost held off b/c of the label whore thing, but rough them home anyway. They ended up being too tights, so I sent them to Long Distance Loving!

This is a GREAT idea for a post - something everyone needs, but you are right, it is SO HARD to find a perfect pair!