Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Matters Of Opinion: How Much of Your Life Is On Your Blog?

When you think about it, writing personal blog really is the antithesis to everything we’ve been told regarding internet safety. A personal blog lacking any indication of authentic identity, be it via photos, location information or some other form of personal profiling, is just as good as dead unless, of course, there’s superb content or content that flourishes only in the presence of anonymity (gossip-y or snarky blogs are the first to come to my mind).

I can’t help but think every time I post an outfit of the day photo, Why am I ignoring everything I learned in Internet Safety 101? You shouldn’t be posting photos of yourself on the internet, you hamster! But I do it anyway, because I enjoy reading blogs where the writer is open with his or her identity and am willing to bet that’s what readers want out of my blog, too.

But there’s a limit to what I’m willing to post. Actually, back when I first began hobby blogging with the now-deceased Life Is Better In Heels, I covered both my face and the faces of my friends and family with black dots. It took me awhile to become comfortable with publishing unmasked photos. Rightfully so, in my opinion. Do any of us really know who’s reading? What if your employer stumbles upon your blog or, even worse, an outright crazy-as-batshit stalker? Even if you’re not posting photos of yourself in a whipped cream bikini or writing about last night’s bong fest, it’s still ‘no bueno.’ However, it didn’t take long for me to realize that, just like boring family photo albums with page upon page of scenery photos from travels, what people really want to see is the human element. The view from your Oceanside hotel room is certainly nice, but I want to see the funny face you’re making while posing (and the killer shoes you’re wearing).

 A picture of me disguising myself (complete with a SWEET Geiko mask) that was formerly posted on  
Life Is Better In Heels

And while photos certainly put you out there, the content itself is always a matter of concern. I’m truly flabbergasted when I stumble upon blogs where the writer outright posts his or her full name, place of work or other clear-as-day identification markers (note: always check photos to make sure that no identity giveaways are in the background).

All of these things seem rather obvious to me: don’t post your full name, don’t post pictures of my home (with address in clear view), don’t outright state where I work, among other things. But let’s talk about content itself.

Generally, I’m a pretty private person, and I truly believe it’s possible to be a private person and still have an interesting/entertaining/authentic personal blog. I’m willing to share snippets of my life, but definitely not all of it. Even on Facebook, where my friends are edited and limited only to people with whom I regularly converse in real life OR truly desire to keep in touch, I don’t post every photo and detail from my whereabouts. There’s something nice about keeping some things to yourself, you know?

With that being said, there are some topics I will never discuss (or, discuss at a minimum) on When I’ve Arrived:

  1. My fiancé (who I refer to as SO or significant other). Besides the tidbits or generalizations I post here and there, we’re very private people when it comes to our relationship. It may come across that I live a self-centered lifestyle, but that’s only because I don’t post half of the details of what we’re doing.
  2. Work. Besides the business-related travels I take, there is absolutely no reason to discuss my job. That kind of talk can backfire in the worst kinds of ways. Best to keep that information contained.
  3. Family. I love them, but I don’t think it’s fair to be blasting too much information about them (or pictures upon pictures of them). Again, too personal/private, especially since they don’t even know I have this thing!
  4. Personal grievances with people in my life. I know some people use a blog as a kind of journal and therefore tell everything like it is, but I prefer to keep my people-specific problems to myself.
  5. Political Views. ‘Nuff said.

I’m probably forgetting other topics, but these ones are the biggies.

Are there any topics off-limits to you, or is everything fair game? Is your life an open book? And, on a more serious note, do you ever worry about personal safety when you post? 

Note: Please let me know if you encounter any problems when trying to comment by emailing me at manolochoolou {at} gmail dot com (if you'd be so kind). Apparently there have been issues as of late.

8 comments:

Emma said...

This is a Really well written post with some really good points. I always try to check the background of my photos to make sure that there isn't an address or anything else that could give away where I live, etc. I don't really discuss my family much either or my work. I often do wonder who reads my blog and if there are any freaks that do. Anyone that has a blog risks that though. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! The husband reiterated the other day that he disagrees with me posting pictures that show my face after, lo and behold - someone posts a really weird comment on the blog. So...now I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep this blog and/or start a new more anonymous blog.

I agree with a lot (if not all) of the privacy issues you listed. I would love to be completely open and just barf my whole life out here, but I feel like I have to protect my kid and husband.

I do worry about personal safety. When I began blogging, I just wanted it to be a creative outlet where I could do OOTDs and discuss girly things like fashion and pop culture. I think a topic that's off limits is my kid - unless I'm talking about him and even then it's limited, but like you said, it probably makes me come off as self centered and narcisstic.

Katy Mary said...

I agree with you, for awhile I was super careful to never name names or include any other super personal info but it was hard. I refer to my Fiance as The Future Hubs and I never post pictures of my home, never post my last name or the name of the company I work for. While I share quite a bit relationship stuff will never make it on my blog.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

i didn't post alot about my personal life to start...now i do more but try to keep key details out. I refer to alot of my friends with nicknames but their pics make their way on to the blog. no one has complained and i wouldn't post an inapprop pic of myself or any of them...so i am staying like so for now :)

RAW said...

@ Emma: Thank you! I think my posts turn out better when I sit down and prepare them versus writing randomly. I agree--work is an especially important topic to skim over (or write about VERY carefully).

@ Tangled: Yikes at the weird comment. Seriously, you never know who is reading or what that person's intent is. I think we probably all run into the problem of appearing much more shallow/self-centered/narcissistic than we all really are. I guess that's what happens when we're only presenting a portion of who we are online.

@ Katy: Nicknames on blogs are a good way to play it safe. For awhile I thought they seemed ridiculous and too cutes-y (like DH for "Dear Husband"), but it didn't take me long to learn that it makes a lot of sense to use them. I refer to my finace as SO (significant other).

@ Jaime: I run into that problem when it comes to posting pictures of people in my life. Most of my friends/family have no idea that I blog (and I want to keep it that way!) However, I feel back posting images of them because of it. I want to ask permission first, you know? I think your mentality of sharing a little, but not everything is good.

Samantha said...

You have so many great points on this post!

That is why I started my blog in 2008, but didn't really keep it up until recently. My friends blog about a lot of personal things on their blog, but I really don't feel comfortable doing that. If I do post about something a little more personal than fashion, it may be really vague - so I'm sure some readers are like "what"?

Certain things that are off limits: any pics of hubs, kids, outside of my house, work (I state what I am but not where I work), and a lot of my friends. I have nicknames or just use the first initial of my friends. It does make me feel egocentric because the blog is ONLY about me in a way!

I did worry about personal safety, but decided that readers want to see you (and not cute stars over faces) too!

Lindsay said...

Wow - my boyfriend and I were literally JUST talking about this like an hour ago. He looked at my blog for the first time in a while and was uncomfortable with some of the things I had posted - ie things about him that he didn't love being plastered all over the Internet. It was nothing bad, he just thought it was a little too identifying.

I tend to be an over-sharer when it comes to my life and whatnot so blogging is perfect for me; I just need to learn to censor myself a little bit more...

The Internet can certainly be a scary place, but as long as you're careful I think it can also be a great way to connect with others and make some new friends :)

Unknown said...

Hey Rachel! This is a great post! I think it can go either way. I follow blogs that share little info about their personal life and other blogs that are almost an open book. However, the one thing that keeps me coming back is GREAT content.

For me personally, I strive to incorporate my inspirations to other followers as well as letting them get to me know me as a person. What keeps me coming back is being able to relate to them. You are right - there are some things that just don't need to be shared, but I also think it's ok to be a little vulnerable at times.
xoxo
-linh
http://la-lalinh.blogspot.com