Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Day I Tried on Wedding Gowns

Considering I've been engaged for almost a year now and *almost* have a date selected for this shindig, I thought it high time I start giving some consideration to the details. My former roommate came up to Boston for a visit last weekend, so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment at a nearby bridal salon.

Until now I've pretty much felt void of any sort of bride-to-be enthusiasm. Since my fiance and I have lived together for two years and been together for nearly ten, becoming gung-ho about planning some sort of extra-special big day feels a bit...trite? I still maintain that we keep the wedding intimate and simple (and in Boston), but that ain't happening.

So the wedding bug may have sunk its teeth into me momentarily last Sunday when I tried on dresses. It's hard not to play into the fantasy a bit when you're trying on extraordinary beautiful gowns that cost almost a year's worth of rent.

I ended up finding two that I could see myself wearing. I'm not waiting for that "this is the one" feeling to surface--a dress is a dress is a dress. If it's fabulous and looks good, I'll take it.

One of the more positive take-aways is that the samples in this particular boutique all nearly fit me spot on. The idea of being able to purchase a sample is encouraging to my wallet.

I'd post pictures of me wearing the top two contenders, but that seems a bit gauche. Here's the web image of one of my selections:

image: Liancarlo.com

Love the theatrical style. Considering the venues I'm looking into, this would be perfect. Has almost a "Swan Lake" sort of appeal.

I'm not posting a picture of the other one, because it may be the one I ultimately purchase :)

Side note: I already have the shoes!

5 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

How very exciting! The shoes are fabulous :)

Michele said...

I love the ethereal look of the dress you posted! I'm with you on the dress is a dress is a dress, but still... fun to play dress up for a bit.

Noelani said...

I went sample for my dress! I tried on quite a few but hated the idea of spending that.much.money. Low and behold, I found a beauty at a sample sale and was done! It was pristine and I spent money I saved on getting it tailored.

ERIKA said...

OMG I LOVE that first dress! It looks breathtaking. I can't wait to see the dress you may be choosing. And those hot pink pumps, so cute! I know what you mean about wedding planning. I've been with my BF for over 6 years. Once we decide to get married it won't be fun. We've lived together for almost 6 years as well.

Rachel said...

The shoes are beautiful! :) I've been away from blogging for a while! But I've missed ya, girly! ;)